Each of the hives had three supers, but none are capped. We put one back on each hive, put the inner covers on followed by shims and then the other two supers. The bees should fill up the super closest to the brood chamber in the next few days using their own honey from the top supers and cap the bottom super off. Then we will extract that. Not a great yield this year, but it has been dry and the bees are new.
Pete and I installed new packages on April 16, but yesterday discovered one of the Queens had not survived. A quick trip to Backwoods Bees for her replacement and a very successful direct release leads us to have faith that the new queens will start laying eggs, rearing brood and allow us to have a reasonable year.